If you need to prove that content writing and search engine optimization have changed unrecognizably over the years, just look at product descriptions. Previously, they were only used for SEO purposes and marketers didn’t care much about the quality. The only thing that mattered was stuffing the description with keywords – and the curious thing is, it worked.
Yet times have changed. Now product descriptions are the crucial sale point that defines CTRs. Amazon taught customers the importance of descriptions, directing people’s attention towards technical specifics. Today this type of content reminds a concise descriptive essay, with creative insights and journalistic methods.
Combine SEO and readability
Let’s cut to the chase: what makes a WordPress product description efficient?
Prioritize text value over keywords
You may also like:
- How to Choose the Best WordPress Hosting Service ?
- 40+ Best Lawyer WordPress Themes For Private Attorneys & Law Firms in 2018
- 150+ Best Real Estate WordPress Themes for March 2018
- 150+ Best WordPress Blog Themes For Personal, Fashion, Travel, Lifestyle And More
- 150+ Best WordPress Themes for Business in 2018 for Startups and Corporate Companies
- 150+ Best Portfolio WordPress Themes to Showcase Your Work
- 90+ Best Restaurant WordPress Themes to Create a Responsive Restaurant Website in April 2018
- 30+ Best Wiki WordPress Themes to Create Wiki, FAQ & Support Centers
- 95+ Best eCommerce WordPress Themes Powered by WooCommerce
- 82+ Best Photography WordPress Themes For Professional and Hobby Photographers in March 2018
- 80+ Best Wedding WordPress Themes for Marriage and Wedding Planners in March 2018
Great content writers combine the qualities of salesmen and journalists. The thing that unites them all is athe method of the inverted pyramid. Same as journalists write their lead passages answering the main Wh-questions, salesmen describe the key features of the product.
- Who is the buyer? Define the target audience of your product. Gender, age, lifestyle, demographic, hobby preferences – analyze these key characteristics. Write my essay services nail this part – their texts carry clear messages to specific segments of the otherwise big student audience.
- What does the product offer? Describe basic and additional features. Use top Amazon listings as your reference – they nail this part.
- When is the best season to buy your product? Most likely, you’ll profit from Christmas and back-to-school seasons but maybe, you have some original dates, too.
- Where is the product applied? Indoors, outdoors, city, village – define specific location points.
- Why should people choose the product? A little something called a unique selling point will be useful here. What makes your item different from the competitive ones? Define it all in one sentence.
Write lists first
Remember how we said that people read descriptions? Well, a correction here: they don’t actually read but rather scan them. It means you have less than a minute to capture the reader’s attention. And what’s the best way to do it then with great lists?
- Short bullet points grab attention.
- Group features in a logical order: from basic to additional ones. A good idea is dividing these two groups into two different lists.
- Use formatting. Prefer bold over italics and underlined. If you have problems with your site formatting, use an old Amazon hack – occasional Caps Lock didn’t hurt anyone.
- Answer questions. Customers always have a lot of concerns about the product – answer them beforehand. A list of Q&A always shows consideration and proves a good point.
Tell a story
To capture a client’s attention, avoid cliches. From the time when descriptions were written merely for SEO purposes, the stereotype of mechanic descriptions got stuck in writers’ and marketer’s heads. While this doesn’t improve the user experience, it’s good news for online store owners – you have plenty of possibilities to stand out with creative storytelling.
Start with the story of your customer.
It’s easier to do for a narrow segment but even a wider audience can be hooked by an interesting analogy.
The example: ‘Cowboy boots are a reflection of American story, culture, and spirit. An original gift for dad, son, brother. Female models are also in vogue – just ask any Taylor Swift fan’.
In this example, the description captures both male and female customers. Granted, it’d be more efficient to write a specific text for each type of audience but you can always test that. Usually, it’s better to start with a wider audience and then narrow it down, if needed.
Make up a hook
Make your description fun from the very beginning. If you have an online store with designer clothes, you can share how you came up with the idea. This way, you’ll combine a portfolio and blog posting formats all in one description – which is a great bet.
Example: I’m excited to finally present you my winter umbrella. I know, it’s an unexpected choice for a Christmas present – I thought so, too. But my mom proved me wrong – and I thought your parents might do the same thing.
After this introduction, you’ll list the main features, just like in an ordinary listing. But, sharing the behind-the-stage details will undoubtedly give a personalized touch and add sincerity.
SEO is your second priority
But nevertheless, an important one. Luckily, you have WordPress to your advantage which means, you have a professional set of tools to your advantage. Let’s analyze what we are working with.
- Use WordPress SEO plug-ins. Scribe SEO, SEO Pack. Yoast SEO – these are just a few of many available options. Some of them are paid but with free versions available. They show the optimal length of SEO title and descriptions, check the readability and the level of SEO-optimization.
- It’s simple to format. Unlike Drupal, with its usual formatting issues, WordPress is surprisingly simple to set. You don’t need to install specific fonts and check default sizes.
- Add a lot of pictures. We just spent a lot of time discussing readability but honestly, none of this will matter if you have no pictures – and that’s worth a thousand words as we know. Upload photos of different angles and capture the smallest details. If you can publish an ‘unpacking’ video – do that, too.
Determine precise keywords
The quality is prioritized over quantity. Even though Google doesn’t have a specific number of keywords that could get you penalized, the comme-il-faut amount is around 5-10 requests – depends on the size of your text.
The main descriptions for selecting keywords:
- Put the most specific keywords at the beginning of the ext. This way, you’ll help a Google crawler to understand your text’s value and provide a higher ranking.
- Combine more and less popular search requests. If your product is, for example, a humidifier, you can start with ‘humidifier for kids’ and then expand it to ‘humifidier for small kids’.
- To avoid the spamming penalty, create more pages to put more keywords in your texts. Take a look at the footer of WritingGuru and notice the number of pages they link to. The website structure is incredibly rich and therefore, universal.
- The most popular keywords should be used for the most popular items. Sounds often, yet usually ignored. Don’t pick keywords randomly – tart from exploring Google Analytics and Search Console to see what pages have the highest direct traffic and poses the biggest SEO weight.
- Write image tags with keywords. We already discussed that it’s important to use as many images as you can. You are going to have even higher effect if you also add alt, title, source. If someone embeds the picture from your page to their website, you’ll have a backlink, tied to a specific keyword, all for free.
WordPress product descriptions are now much more than just a search optimization tool. It’s also a crucial factor in the sales success and a major determinant of your online store’s reputation.
- Always put readability first. Not only it aligns with Google’s requirements that prioritize the value over other factors but also help you to build a relationship with a customer.
- SEO is now a secondary goal but nevertheless, still an important one. Write down tags, tied to precise keywords and avoid spamming.
- Keep your page code clean to increase the speed of Google indexing and use helpful WordPress plugins.
Responding to these basic SEO requirements and corresponding to readers’ expectations – that’s all you need for an efficient description.